Friday, May 1, 2015

Fitbit Surge – Training bracelet that I do not need – New Technology


     According to the manual, the watch’s battery last for seven days, I manage to push it to the maximum three and a half days. Photo: Jörgen Appelgren
     

Training watches and bracelets is this year really big fly. New Technology has tested one of the most acclaimed – Fitbit Surge.

I’m no fitness freak but I move on me pretty much and eat pretty good. I knew before I started with Fitbits health and fitness bracelet Surge.

What I did not know exactly what pulse I have in sleep mode or how many minutes I wake or sleep restlessly at night. I did not know that I was in sufficiently good shape as I apparently am or that I must exert myself properly to not walk 10,000 steps a day. Fun!

This type of bracelet / smart watch is a product category that has long existed in the periphery but in recent months completely exploded in the supply of consumer electronics manufacturers.

The major has launched its variants – Microsoft, Apple, Samsung, LG, Garmin and so on. In addition, a plethora of more specialized companies like Jawbone, Withings and Misfit. Fitbit is one of these, founded back in 2007, hoping to reap the benefits when the market has now taken off.

Surge is a kind smart watch with functions to measure heart rate, steps, GPS and log training sessions. Data synced with an app on your phone or computer. The app contains quite a bit of information, but the company’s site contains lots of statistics.

For a person walking in time to sign things, keep track of activities and to look at the fine sectioned statistics – namely myself – this is almost addictive.

At the same time watch / bracelet worn around the clock every day. It is not very nice – rubber band gets sweaty and the clock is large and a bit edgy. It is also quite ugly. My ordinary clock, Edifice Casio, is much prettier and more comfortable to wear on the day.

Another aberration is the entry of what you eat. I’ll do that manually on the webpage and it is not food or dishes in Swedish, but I must first try to translate them into English. There are a few days, then I give up.

Most smart phones have apps that do much the same thing, counting steps and keeps track of sleep and more, but Fitbits Surge make it more accurate and better.

One objection to this kind of stuff is that it feels clearly intrusive to let an unknown party logging and save my most personal health information. However, it is a weak argument because it probably is just a habit.

I use primarily a träningsapp on my phone called Endomondo. I get by continued good with it, but it’s been really fun to see how Fitbit update my bike rides with the pulse information and it automatically adds the walk workouts based on how much I have gone during the day.

LikeTweet

No comments:

Post a Comment