Monday, April 4, 2016

Believe me, you lost the battle when you were born – Aftonbladet

It is possible that you are reading this on a screen. Then it is almost inevitable that the text is framed by moving messages about the summer, line rental and affordable makeup brushes. The messages of course depends on where you and your processor has been lately. Fills your screen by advertising hemorrhoid cream and daring lingerie, there is no point to complain. Blame yourself.

But back to the point. “Almost inevitably,” I write. There is in fact simple software that blocks advertising. According to the latest reports using around 25 percent of Swedes such six months ago. In the world as a whole was estimated as 200 million use the ad blocker. They are quickly becoming more.

I have read me in a report, which funnily enough, begins: “We are pleased to publish the 2015 global report on the advertising block, in cooperation with Adobe” .

There are not really waterproof sanctuary from advertising.

it is written not so terribly much about this, because it threatens revenue for newspapers like this and , by extension, my salary. I shoot my words right now in the foot. Possibly in the head. But I guess you still have to know this elsewhere.

The fight is on. Advertising on advertising blocker. Newspapers to readers. German Picture releases no longer in readers with ad blocker on their website, if they are not in place pay for itself. British Guardian considering something similar.

I can not help but suspect that there is something existential in this technological battle creams. When it falls, a flashing banner on discounted kettle over the text I want to read, it is not just annoying. The fall of symbolic weight.

The epitome of what? I think the answer is life itself.

That’s how life is. Nothing must be kept in peace. Any attempt to distinguish one from the other, creating a protected zone, is bound to fail. Bills, neighbors, the weather, the declaration, customer service, the family, the Red Cross, the dog: Life is full of flashing banners that fall down in front of us, when we least want it. The advertising is just like anything else.

Do what you want with the blocker. But believe me, you’ve already lost the battle. You did when you were born.

Sincerely, in cooperation with Aftonbladet.

LikeTweet

No comments:

Post a Comment